We’ve all heard the saying that running a small business is a marathon, not a sprint…so how do you stay motivated day in, day out and through the not-so-sexy stuff? In this episode, we’re talking about motivation and mind tricks to stay the course and keep on running…
Here’s the scoop from Episode #70:
You know how it is when you’ve got big plans. The day-to-day stuff can feel boring. And it can be hard to motivate yourself to keep on, keepin’ on when you’re feeling bored/disinterested/like you want to watch Netflix or do something else entirely.
This is completely normal. It will come and go so don’t feel like it is only happening to you. Sometimes when it’s slower, it’s the perfect time to do the “some day things” you always talk about (whether it is in your business or your life).
Here are our favourite ways to get/stay motivated:
Break big goals into milestones
- If you break a big goal (annual, monthly, whatever) down into smaller, bite-size milestones, it is easier to feel that sense of achievement, and keep yourself going. Those small wins and bursts of productivity really add up.
Set daily goals
- Once you have broken those goals down, look at how you can work towards them a little every day. By the end of the week, you will be stoked as to how much you have achieved and that will encourage you for the next week. For example, our friend Teresa Reed, The Tarot Lady, is doing just that. She is writing a book and her goal is 1000 words a day, leading to the book length of 60,000 words. In no time she hit 15,000 words! Doing 1000 words a day is so much less intimidating than focusing on the 60,000-word goal.
Reward yourself along the way
- How you reward yourself will vary completely from one person to another. Whether it is something small like a fancy coffee, or a new book, or a day in the kayak – whatever is going to get you motivated. Make sure you follow through with it!
Make a game of it
- Building on the idea of rewarding yourself, make a game of it. Now, this works for some people, but not for everyone. And the game will vary. Whether it is something like “I will do this for 5 minutes before I give up”, all the way to “if I get all my work done by noon, I can spend the afternoon watching a cheesy movie”. Whatever motivates you, go for it!
Find ways to make it enjoyable
- This may not come naturally to you. Think about things like a nice day planner; a cool office chair; awesome art and rugs in your work space; beautiful plants, etc..
- Go work at the coffee shop, take a break and go for a walk. You spend a lot of time working – take the time to make it as enjoyable as you can.
Remember your why
- This will vary from person to person, but for most of us entrepreneurs, the freedom, independence and flexibility are the key drivers. Remind yourself of whatever your why is, often, that will help you stay the course.
Fill up your cup
- If you are feeling drained personally, or health wise, or mentally, be honest with yourself and reflect on that. Are there things triggering that (like too many pastries, or not enough fresh air or alone time) and change them.
Figure out what motivates you
- Everyone is different. Figure out what drives you and focus on those things. If your lack of motivation drags on too long, then it becomes something else. Or, it might be your business. But that is a topic for another episode!
You might have your own ways to get yourself going. Whatever works for you, just do it. Remember, this too shall pass.
Links for this show:
- If you want to learn more about getting more productive, check out the Small Business Boss Society.
If you missed any podcasts and want to get caught up, you can click here to find all of our previous episodes on the Podcast landing page.